Saturday, December 19, 2009

Home is where you make it. Irene Conner 27/06/09

I wander through the outback in the confines of my mind
re-visiting the memories my life has left behind;
re-visiting the grandeur of our dry, red dusty land
where beauty holds you captive anywhere that you may stand.

I feel a twinge of sadness now I walk another track
as still its’ spirit calls me, but I’m never going back
for now I walk the city streets and hear the traffic roar,
and listen to my neighbours as they chat away next door.

I’m nearer to the Doctors - now I’m getting frail and old,
and to my city grandkids – now our station land is sold,
and though I thought I’d always roam the bush until I die,
I’m finding there’s a beauty in this place where I now lie.

For beauty lies within the eye of those who care to see
beyond the thoughts of places where they wish that they could be.
I’m looking past the traffic, and the never ending streets
and finding in the crowds a pulsing core that always beats.

Just as I loved the spirit that I found out in the bush
I’m finding something special in the crowded city push.
I find the hand of friendship is extended still to me;
and smiles can light the saddest face if given out for free.

The touch of human kindness feeds the homeless on the street
as city folk provide a little spot where they can eat.
That great Australian mateship can be found in any crowd;
in the bush or in the city – how it makes this old man proud.

The sun still paints a picture as it settles in the west –
with buildings silhouetted, we are still just nature’s guest.
And sunrise gilds our houses in its gentle golden glow
while plants delight our senses as the seasons ebb and flow.

Today I’m feeling happy for I’ve lived a blessed life;
I have my kids around me, and a loving, gentle wife.
I hunger not for outback trails, and clear blue skies above
for home is where you make it if you fill that home with love.

Irene Conner 27/06/09

No comments: