Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grandads Travels & God lives inside hearts & Poetry group decisions.

Grandads Travels.
Grand dad came down from Dirranbandi and he humped his swag up on the train
Then he slept out on me veranda and thanked Huey it didn’t rain
He tells anyone he’s from the bush and that’s he’s very proud of that
He says he loves the bloody heat and that the whole flamin world should be flat
He says he learnt to ride a horse himself!! long before he could even walk
N’That a cook taught’im how to swear like a shearer before he learnt to talk

Me Grandad only ever had one car that could fill the whole list on his extensive quota
He’s never seen anything that’d come close to his 1961 tray back two door white Toyota
Well me sister rocked up to see him with her stuck up city banker high flyer creep
Bragging bout their luxury four door all wheel drive turbo charged black as night… Jeep
The banker told his fancy tale to us though his story came quiet uninvited
He listed all the features this Jeep thing had and the diff gear ratios were precisely cited

Ol Grandad just bit his lip then sat back and rolled another log cabin smoke
Show the flamin thing some dust dirt ‘n gravel and he reckoned that it’d flamin choke
The ol bugger tipped his akubra to the l’adies and then nodded his goodbyes
Taking out his filled hip flask with a determined thirsty look in his eyes
He finished off his rum as he stretched once again upon his swag
Then smiled a drunken smile and laughed out loudly, like it was the best idea he’d ever had

Chirp chirp went the jeep when the keyless tag was fumbly poked at the floor
The bloody parkin lights came on and the computer actually opened up the flaming door
“Welcome Sir” it said to him as he clambered drunkenly up and hoped inside
“Don’t forget to buckle up Sir, or I cannot take you any where for a ride”
Ping ping the car went as he found the strap and stuck it in the holster right beside his hip
Some green light was flashing upon the dash so grandad pushed it and thus began his trip

“What’s your destination Sir please key in the address for where it is you’d like to go”
Grandad said “well bugger me” the computer replied that request it did not know
He braced himself adjusted the mirror but the seat he could not move
Then he pushed 98.9 on the radio and Old Slim made grandad groove
He hit the garage door as he had not figured the need to push the button
Then he cursed to himself this piece of garbage is just lamb dressed up as mutton

The door was open now and the Jeep was out in the street
Grandad smiled to himself as “lights on the hill” helped him keep his beat
He headed for the freeway for that was the way he came
He found it hard to find the wipers as the wind swept some of the rain
He thought about his Mabel and the nights spent on blueberry hill
That’s were he and the jeep was heading he just hoped the jeep had the will

For the road to lovers leap was less then a bush track
At night it would be a journey where only the Toyota could get him back
He drove straight through the wire fence and at that he was impressed
He got a glimpse of Mabel as the pattern reminded him of her dress
He looked out the windscreen and could see the peak way up high
He dropped her into to second and made the gearbox cry

The tyres started slipping but he wasn’t turning around
The wire wrapped around them made a click click clicking sound
He tried to find the old path that went around the trees
The jeep was hangin in there and had come thus far with ease
Things got dark on one side as he miss calculated a hidden rock
The bump nearly threw him from his seat and gave him quiet a shock

He didn’t see the puddle in front of him, which was almost a lake
He was right in the middle of it when he decided it was time to break
The car came to halt the water almost up to the door
He laughed and said “there now darling that’s what they made ya for”
He dropped her into low with the wheels making a watery sound
Then the spray came in the window as lowered it, to look around

Back on his mission when he had almost topped the hill
The engine making a noise that could only be described as shrill
Somehow the jeep got side ways as it skidded into a tree
But grandad revved her up and very soon they broke free
It wasn’t very far now as he saw through the rain to the very top
The jeep was going to make it, his jaw had slightly dropped

What the poor bugger didn’t know some rich man had bought the other side
He’d built a mansion on the cliff face that was his joy and his pride
Four stories of luxury with a view that was impossible to beat
A palace on a mountain where the bush and city meet
Grandad must’ve felt like he was a flamin bloody fool
As skidded through the landscaping across the marble edge and into the pool

It must have been a funny sight for the millionaire and his wife
To see the old bugger dog paddling so clearly in much strife
They fished him out together and he drunkardly tried to give a thank
Then they watched the bubbles disappear as the Jeep beneath the water sank
Well grandad told them it was the first time he had ever driven in town
The jeep was bloody tough but he’d doubt that his landcruiser woulda drowned



God lives inside hearts.


When I was young there was much haze
I lived a funny through the good ol bad ol days

My family thought most likely to fail
The school voted me most likely to go to jail

The Police looked twice for they knew my name
My brothers learnt quickly to pass the blame

In love, out of love, from one fall to the next
So many attempts to try and break my neck

All that I’ve done both good and bad
Just ask my!! Kids do they love their!! Dad

I started this group so we all could speak
Everyone has the choice to turn the other cheek

My standards are mine and I’ve been thru the gutter
I have the same knife for my steak my cheese and my butter

My God is in my heart not hidden inside some book of law
My God loves everyone; I think that should happen some more

Poetry group decisions.

It is seldom that I show ire or my emotions
The true person is seldom let out
My anger has seen me in trouble and my strength does doubt
It scares me when my other self is about

I want this group to work it is my peace on earth
I look forward to it every day
It is the place where I do some good where I know in my heart I should
You’re all friends and welcome to stay

Please consider others before you write
We are adults here and have not a government to fear
We can all get along for were searching for the same song
Three hours a month we find it here

Thank you for your attention and there is no need to sanction
Just don’t clap and you will make your point
So bring your poems to our table and let us laugh if were able
Because tomorrow you could drop dead.

















Poem number four

I heard there was a rumour about a lacking sense of humour
That has left some people feeling a little cold
Well I really beg to differ as I hold my top lip stiffer
That a laugh’s a laugh come what may

If a mental picture you find creates an image in your mind
Then has not the poet done their job
If the words alone were not offensive but they made you feel defensive
Then the picture painted was truly clear

I do not wish to be a judge nor to lay down in the sludge
And I hope from this no one says good bye
For if are to set a list of rules well we end up as the fools
Because where different you know you and i

If you feel a strong objection you’re free to pen your rejection
And another group you may want to find
For if you think you can do better then become a real go getter
And start another group from scratch like we did

When I work in mental health, I place my feelings on the shelf
Try to act like I don’t really care
Then some one eight hours at me they stare and count the greys amongst my hair
It makes me look inside my self
There but for the grace of God goes you or I and I often wonder why
he chose them and not me,
but who is it that is free is it them or is it me,
sometimes I cry just let me be


When I am really feeling sad I have thoughts are just plain bad
And yet I’m free to come and go
I guess I know right from wrong
and these poor bastards aren’t that strong
and for that their labelled truly mad

No comments: