Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Final Minute

The Final Minute

Minutes go by, some go fast
Some disappear while others last
One minute I was just standing there
The next minute suddenly there was a flare

I was grabbed hard round the throat
A refugee that arrived here by boat
He’s killed before in another land
I thought “I will not die, not by your hand”

I struck out fast and I struck out hard
Life had dealt me that sudden card
I hit him back I was not a wreck
He was shocked my hands upon his neck

That’s when I our eyes deeply met
All I could see was cold with no regret
What happened next was up to me
We stared like that for an eternity

I held onto him and he held onto me
I pushed him back my hands broke free
In that moment I thought, “I will not die”
I was ready to rise with my head held high

Then I saw the door and another way out
It was one I had not yet thought about
I saw my friend and the look on her face
I went next to her; in safety I took my place

Then emotions came and stole my voice
I knew I had made the very best choice
For in that moment I thought, “Fuck you jack”
I won’t lie down I will fight back

Then I remembered what some one had said
And knew I was alive and I wasn’t dead
His actions thought they happened to me
Sanity prevails and you never take it personally

All that happened in thirty second or less
My longest minute my toughest test
All the thoughts of Irene being left alone
Of her heart break answering that phone

My Son getting married my daughter giving birth
The things that matter most to me here on earth
No one at work ever deserves to die
 I thought of the Anzacs and I started to cry

I needed to run to hide just to get some fresh air
I didn’t know what I wanted, just not to be there
Now that’s its over and I can replay it in my mind
I’m still alive and that’s pretty fuckin fine.

 13/02/2012 Copyright TM No. 1028534

No comments: