Wednesday, January 16, 2019

A minute before midnight

A minute before midnight we sat on our bed
Thinking about a poem for tomorrow 
when I wanted to sleep instead  

Six months of planning last night came to a head
My charity ride was over now
I could relax into our bed 

Will it rain or wont it rain like the TV had said
Many people putting of their decision
Staying safe at home instead

Hours asking sponsors to donate to our cause
Many helpful businesses 
None of them in it for the applause 

My Charity bins located three selected sites
Shopping centers supportive 
For the fourth annual night

Over one hundred emails I had posted out 
With not too many replies 
Scripted apologies a denial with no doubt

Printed over three hundred flyers to disperse
Community billboards noticeboards 
To some shops I was a curse 

My Grandson Oliver is the reason for the ride 
He has juvenile arthritis
He lives his life with pride 

He’s a little trooper and the kindest gentle soul
Give the shirt of his back
To another kid that’s feeling low 
The rain held off and the sky was dark
As riders came on by
One by one they entered the car park

Sixty well lit bikes had gathered on the day
It was Olivers first ride
He was excited I have to say

I made him a rest vest with his name 
He was surprised to see it
He made me cry with his exclaim

We were first to start off on the ride 
Oliie was the ride captain
He wore a smile one mile wide 

The ride was truly a great success 
Many hands helping
To make a night that was the best

Now its all done and dusted ill shed a tear
So much effort into one night
I know I will do it all again next year. 


Copyright Poetry inParadise Reg TM No # 1028534

No comments: