Saturday, October 27, 2018

To Joan Small 2017 RIP my friend


A lovely lady with perfect posture     
her friendship eagerly extended            
The English language, her use of grammar     
so keenly and stoutly defended       
  
I first met Joan more than ten years ago  
And her birthday will be remembered       
That’s something else that we had in common    
For both Joan and I were ‘Septembered’     

Joan tried hard to help me with my poems         
By showing them to me ‘dismembered’      
By counting the beat with her clapping hands      
My rough lines more rhythmically rendered            
  
I used to e-mail my reports to her
Joan would then send them back all bettered
After ten long years of her corrections
Joan said go forth-young man unfettered



When Joan gave me the news a year ago
With a face that was strong yet haunted
She remained positive and forged ahead      
Her enthusiasm undaunted                            


Her wit never dimmed but it strained her voice
It was like her words had defected
Many checks were ordered as time slipped by
The results carefully dissected 


The tests were diagnosed as ALS
it hit hard to realize her plight 
Her life had delivered battles before
But her strength usually won the fight



No loss of mind nor elegance was gone
her clear tone was always well spoken
we really missed her and her poetry
Joan fought hard and was never broken



Joan did not seek me for pity or help
Such was the raw courage she wielded
She kept smiling and thought positively
To her fate she gracefully yielded


Our friend has moved on she has gone away
I felt her soul as she ascended
Joan battled so long to stay with us
Now her pain has peacefully ended

I’ll miss her lovely smile her friendly way
For her faith I remain indebted
Live a full life was a motto of hers
Nothings gained when nothing’s attempted


Bye for now my friend and we’ll meet again
We leave this world the way we entered
I’ve learnt many things about life from you
You taught me how to be more centered


This poem’s not perfect I’m sure of that
You know I started out unlettered
Take out your red pen Joan and mark it now
Yes it does need to be corrected


There are so many forms of love to know
The friendship branch we shared, extended
So many hearts here will miss your soft light
A warmth on which we all depended 


I will close these words now and wish you well
As an angel you have been measured
I’ll keep my fondest memories of you
Dear Joan you will always be treasured


Poetry in Paradise Reg TM No. 1028534 2017

No comments: